Due to a number of factors inside and outside your home, the voltage of your electric service can vary slightly. Most of the time you won't even notice these voltage variations, but modern sophisticated electronic equipment can be very sensitive to even small, split-second electricity fluctuations. That’s why it’s important for you to use surge protectors in your home.
- Surge protectors protect your electronics from power surges in your electrical system.
- A home computer has voltage-sensitive components that a power surge can damage easily.
- Use surge protectors for all high-end electronic equipment in your home such as computers, TV’s, and entertainment center components.
- Use a surge protector with an indicator light that tells you whether or not it is functioning properly.
- A power strip is not the same as a surge protector. Most packages will tell you if the device is a surge protector or just a strip, so choose the protector.
- Most surge protectors have a reset button and a power button on them. If you currently have electronics plugged into a strip and you cannot tell if it is surge protector you should err on the side of caution and replace the strip with a surge protector.