In Home Safety Tips
- When unplugging a cord, pull on the plug, not the cord.
- Repair or replace an appliance if the cord is damaged or frayed.
- Don't place cords where someone can easily trip over them or where people will be walking on them (under carpets, across doorways, etc.).
- When operating power tools, be sure to keep the cord away from the tool.
- Don't coil appliance or extension cords while they're in use.
- Avoid using extension cords when possible. If you must use an extension cord, pick one that is at least as large as the appliance's cord.
- Use a three-wire extension cord with an appliance that has a three-wire cord.
- Use a moisture-resistant cord outside.
- Unplug extension cords when not in use
- Never use an appliance around or in a wet area.
- Teach children not to touch appliances with wet hands.
- Keep combustible materials away from heating appliances.
- Unplug small appliances when you've finished using them.
- Never leave operating portable heaters unattended.
- Use bulbs of the appropriate wattage in fixtures and lamps. Using a higher wattage bulb than recommended can overheat the bulb and may lead to fire. If the recommended wattage is not on the fixture, use a 60-watt bulb.
- Keep attic insulation clear of recessed lighting.
- Don't place anything combustible near a halogen lamp.
Other In-Home Tips
- Childproof outlets
- Use fuses or a circuit breaker with the recommended amps.
- Never overload a wall receptacle with too many appliances.
- Look for the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) seal of approval when buying electrical equipment, appliances, and decorative lighting.
- Know your limits. Contact a professional to perform electrical work in your home.